Saturday, January 19, 2013

Llambert: Making Do

Oh, I prefer my ladies long-legged, long-necked, and hairy like me, but sometimes, you have to make do with what you have.

So I learned to like those short-legged, big-bellied ewes. They were more hospitable than the horses and less flighty than the chickens.

The sheep, like me, enjoyed spending the afternoon dozing and ruminating.

Within days, I was following them to the pasture to graze. Being an attentive guy, I watched for any strange dogs -- or strange people -- who might threaten us. I became their protector... except at feeding time.


When the farm owner filled the feeders with hay, I pushed them out of my way, gently, of course.

Size has its advantages.

For months, that was our routine. But on one spring morning, things changed. It was lambing season.

No comments:

Post a Comment